Title: Omnibus Civilian Science Authorization Act of 1995
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that appropriates $21.74 billion in funding for federal science programs for the 1996 fiscal year (FY 1996) and $7.17 billion for the 1997 fiscal year (FY 1997).
- Requires the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) to cleanup wastes, dumps, storage tanks, property, hazardous conditions and contaminants on NOAA land.
- Prohibits any agencies receiving funding from lobbying.
- Calls for NASA to reduce institutional costs by restructuring management, consolidating facilities, joining with other defense and private sector systems, and other reforms.
- Terminates funding of 16 NOAA programs.
- $11.55 billion for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) for FY 1996, including $2.6 billion for Mission Support and $2.34 billion for space shuttle operations.
- $4.61 billion to the Department of Energy for FY 1996 and $4 billion for FY 1997.
- $3.13 billion to the National Science Foundation (NSF) for the 1996 fiscal year and $3.17 billion for the 1997 fiscal year.
- $1.62 billion to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, including $1.33 billion for atmospheric, weather, and satellite programs.
- $490 million to the Environmental Protection Agency office of research and development.