Feb. 25, 2014(Key vote)
Title: Unlocking Consumer Choice and Wireless Competition Act
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that authorizes an individual to unlock his or her mobile phone.
- Authorizes the owner of a wireless telephone handset, or an individual with the owner’s permission, to circumvent technological measures that prohibit the phone from connecting to a “wireless telecommunications network,” if done to make a network connection that has been authorized by the network operator (Sec. 2).
- Defines “wireless telecommunications network” as a network used to provide a commercial mobile radio or data service (Sec. 2).
- Prohibits an individual from unlocking a wireless handset or another wireless device for the purpose of bulk resale (Sec. 2).
- Requires the Librarian of Congress to determine if an individual is authorized to unlock another category of wireless device by the following date (Sec. 2):
- If the enactment of this bill is before June 1, 2014, the determination will be made no later than 9 months after the enactment date; or
- If the enactment of this bill is on or after June 1, 2014, the determination will be made within the 3-year rulemaking period that begins on or after the enactment date.
NOTE: THIS LEGISLATION NEEDED A TWO-THIRDS MAJORITY VOTE TO PASS