Nov. 7, 2013(Key vote)
Title: Exempts Religiously Affiliated Employers from the Prohibition on Employment Discrimination Based on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to adopt an amendment to S Amdt 2012 to S 815 that exempts religiously-affiliated employers from the prohibition on employment discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Exempts certain employers from the provisions of S 815 in the following circumstances:
- The employer is partially or entirely owned, controlled, or managed by a particular religion or by a particular religious corporation, association, or society;
- The employer is officially affiliated with a particular religion or with a particular religious corporation, association, or society; and
- The employer’s curriculum is directed toward the expansion of a particular religion.
- Specifies that the exemption applies regardless of whether the employer or employee in the employment position at issue engages in secular or religious activities.
NOTE: THIS LEGISLATION NEEDED A THREE-FIFTHS MAJORITY VOTE TO PASS.