SB 61 - Authorizes the Merger of Health Care Corporations With Nonprofit Insurers - Key Vote
Michigan Key Votes
- March 18, 2013 Executive Signed
- March 5, 2013 Senate Concurrence Vote Passed
- Feb. 28, 2013 House Bill Passed
- Jan. 31, 2013 Senate Bill Passed
- Jan. 16, 2013 Introduced
Legislation - Signed (Executive) - March 18, 2013
Legislation - Concurrence Vote Passed (Senate) (36-0) - March 5, 2013
Legislation - Bill Passed With Amendment (House) (92-18) - Feb. 28, 2013(Key vote)
Title: Authorizes the Merger of Health Care Corporations With Nonprofit Insurers
Vote to pass a bill that authorizes health care corporation to merge with a nonprofit mutual disability insurer and establishes the Michigan Health Endowment Fund for the public welfare.
- Authorizes a health care corporation to merge with a nonprofit mutual disability insurer, resulting in the nonprofit mutual disability insurer as the surviving entity (Sec. 220).
- Specifies that a merged nonprofit mutual disability insurer is not exempt from taxation (Sec. 220).
- Authorizes the creation of a charitable nonprofit corporation, entitled the Michigan Health Endowment Fund, to receive and administer a fund for the public welfare, including efforts for infant mortality, wellness programs, access to healthy food, and technology enhancements (Sec. 653).
- Requires the Michigan Health Endowment Fund to disburse $120 million over 8 years to subsidize the cost of individual Medigap coverage (Sec. 653).
- Requires a merged nonprofit mutual disability insurer to "use its best efforts" to make annual contributions to the Michigan Health Endowment Fund in an amount of up to $1.56 billion over a period of up to 18 years, beginning in April 2014 (Sec. 220).
- Requires all health care corporations in Michigan to offer health care benefits to all residents regardless of health status until January 1, 2014 (Sec. 401).
- Requires health care providers to do the following actions before discontinuing any plan or product (Sec. 401):
- Provide notice to the Office of Financial and Insurance Regulation commissioner; and
- Offer covered individuals the option to purchase any other plan or product without excluding coverage for a pre-existing condition or providing a waiting period.
Legislation - Bill Passed (Senate) (36-0) - Jan. 31, 2013
Legislation - Introduced (Senate) - Jan. 16, 2013
Title: Authorizes Blue Cross Blue Shield to Merge with Non-profit Health Care Organizations