HB 2023 - Prohibits Manditory Labor Organizational Fees for Political Purposes - Key Vote
Kansas Key Votes
Legislation - Bill Passed (House) (68-56) - Jan. 31, 2013(Key vote)
Vote to pass bill that prohibits public employee organizations from using member's payroll deductions for political activities, effective immediately.
- Prohibits public employee organizations from using any payments from a member’s payroll for engaging in political activities (Sec. 1).
- Defines a “political activity” as any activity carried out for the purpose of influencing state government, local governments, or education board elections including, but not limited to (Secs. 1 & 3):
- Donating to an activity of a partisan, political, or ideological nature;
- Donating to a political committee; or
- Donating to aid the endorsement of a candidate.
- Specifies that a member of a public employee organization may only donate money for a political purpose using a form of personal payment which notes that the payment is donated for political activities, and must be deposited by the organization in a separate fund (Sec. 1).
Legislation - Introduced (House) - Jan. 17, 2013
Title: Prohibits Manditory Labor Organizational Fees for Political Purposes
- Commerce, Labor and Economic Development (Sponsor)