July 19, 2012(Key vote)
Title: Department of Defense Appropriations Act, 2013
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that appropriates funds for the Department of Defense for fiscal year 2013.
- Reduces appropriations for the Afghanistan Infrastructure Fund by $175 million to $375 million for fiscal year 2013-2014 (Title IX).
- Appropriates $1.1 billion for payments to reimburse key cooperating nations for logistical, military, and other support provided to the United States military operations in Afghanistan (Title IX & X, Sec. 10005).
- Prohibits the funds appropriated for payments to reimburse key cooperating nations for support provided to the United States military operations in Afghanistan from being used to reimburse Pakistan unless both the Secretary of Defense and the Secretary of State certify that the Government of Pakistan engages in certain actions, including, but not limited to, the following (Title IX, Sec. 9015):
- Pakistan cooperates with the United States in counterterrorism efforts against the Haqqani Network, Al Qaeda, and other domestic and foreign terrorist organizations;
- Pakistan does not support terrorist activities against the United States or coalition forces in Afghanistan;
- Pakistan dismantles improvised explosive device networks;
- Pakistan prevents the proliferation of nuclear-related material and expertise; and
- Pakistan issues visas in a timely manner for United States visitors engaged in counterterrorism efforts and assistance programs in Pakistan.
- Prohibits any funds appropriated by this bill from being used to enter into a contract, memorandum of understanding, or cooperative agreement with, make a grant to, or provide a loan or a loan guarantee to Rosoboronexport (Title X, Sec. 10014).
- Prohibits funds appropriated by this bill from being used to retire, divest, realign, or transfer Air Force aircrafts, including, but not limited to, the following (Title VIII, Secs. 8116-8118):
- The RQ-4B Global Hawk;
- The C-27J Spartan aircraft; and
- The C-23 Sherpa aircraft.
- Prohibits funds appropriated by this bill from being used to enter into a contract to develop and acquire alternative fuels (Title X, Sec. 10009).
- Prohibits funds appropriated by this bill from being used to operate an unmanned aircraft system (Title X, Sec. 10002).