Jan. 26, 2012(Key vote)
Title: Requirements for Mining Permits
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that reduces requirements for certain mining permits.
- Requires the Department of Natural Resources to approve or deny an application for a ferrous metallic mining permit no later than 360 days after the application is “administratively complete,” whereas existing law did not specify a deadline (Sec. 65).
- Specifies that if the Department of Natural Resources fails to approve or deny an application for a ferrous metallic mining permit within 360 days, the permit will automatically be granted (Sec. 65).
- Specifies that an application for a mining permit is “administratively complete” 30 days after the Department of Natural Resources received the application, unless the Department provides written notification to the applicant no later than 30 days after the application was received stating that the application is not complete (Sec. 65).
- Prohibits the Department of Natural Resources from charging an applicant for a ferrous metallic mining permit more than 1 fee, whereas existing law did not limit the number of fees an applicant may be required to pay (Sec. 65).
- Limits the amount of the application fee for a ferrous metallic mining permit to an amount equal to the cost of evaluating the mining project or $2 million, whichever is less, whereas existing law did not limit the amount of fees an applicant may be required to pay (Sec. 65).
- Reduces the percentage of revenue collected from the tax on ferrous metallic mining that is deposited into the investment and local impact fund from 100 percent to 60 percent, and specifies that the remaining 40 percent shall be deposited into the state general fund (Sec. 16).
NOTE: THIS BILL WAS AMENDED BY STRIKING THE ENTIRETY OF THE ORIGINAL TEXT AND REPLACING IT WITH THE TEXT OF THE AMENDMENT. THE DEGREE TO WHICH THE SUBSTITUTE AMENDMENT TEXT DIFFERS FROM THE PREVIOUS VERSION OF THE TEXT CAN VARY GREATLY.