Feb. 23, 2011(Key vote)
Title: Funding for Charter Schools
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that amends various statutes concerning the funding and operation of public charter schools.
- Establishes the Charter School Facility Revolving Loan Program, which shall be comprised of federal funds obtained by the state for charter school facilities, privately donated funds, and other funds appropriated or transferred by the state (Sec. 2).
- Authorizes public or independent institutions of higher learning to sponsor charter schools (Sec. 5).
- Prohibits the South Carolina Public Charter School District from receiving local property taxes (Sec. 15).
- Authorizes the formation of single gender charter schools (Sec. 5).
- Prohibits school districts and resident public schools from imposing additional requirements on a charter school student to participate in extracurricular activities that are not imposed on students of the resident public school (Sec. 6).
NOTE: THIS IS A SECOND READING VOTE TO CUT OFF DEBATE ON THE BILL AND ADVANCE IT TO THE THIRD READING IN WHICH AN UP-OR-DOWN VOTE FOR PASSAGE WILL OCCUR ONLY IF CERTAIN AMENDMENTS ARE ADDED.