SCR 1060 - State Debt Limit Amendments - Key Vote
Arizona Key Votes
- April 6, 2010 Referred to Committee
- April 1, 2010 Senate Joint Resolution Passed
- March 2, 2010 Introduced
NOTE: AN AMENDMENT TO THE CONSTITUTION REQUIRES MAJORITY APPROVAL IN EACH CHAMBER FOR PASSAGE. AN AMENDMENT MAY ALSO BE PROPOSED BY INITIATIVE PETITION. IT MUST THEN BE APPROVED BY A MAJORITY OF CITIZENS VOTING IN THE NEXT ELECTION TO BECOME ENACTED.
NOTE: THIS BILL WAS AMENDED BY STRIKING THE ENTIRETY OF THE ORIGINAL TEXT OF THE BILL AND REPLACING IT WITH THE TEXT OF THE AMENDMENT. THE DEGREE TO WHICH THE NEW BILL TEXT DIFFERS FROM THE PREVIOUS VERSION OF THE TEXT CAN VARY GREATLY; IT MAY ADDRESS AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT SUBJECT.
Legislation-Joint Resolution - Referred to Committee (House) - April 6, 2010
Legislation-Joint Resolution - Joint Resolution Passed (Senate) (18-8) - April 1, 2010 (Key vote)
Title: State Debt Limit Amendments
Vote to pass a concurrent resolution that submits a constitutional amendment to the voters that prohibits the total state debt from exceeding 5 percent of the net assessed property value of the state, regardless of when the debt was incurred, whereas existing law prohibits the total state debt from exceeding $350,000.
- -Any obligation of Arizona or of any department, office, agency, commission, board, or other instrumentality of state government, regardless of the source of revenues or funds pledged for the payment of the obligation, including general obligation bonds, revenue bonds, long-term notes, and obligations and certificates of participation and other instruments of indebtedness pursuant to lease- purchase agreements;
-Any obligation incurred for the acquisition of any major capital asset by the state or any department, office, agency, commission, board or other instrumentality of state government; and
-Bonds and other obligations secured by state revenues that are diverted from the state General Fund for distribution to a political subdivision or other entity established for a specific purpose.
- -Counties, cities, towns, school districts, and other municipal corporations that are subject to debt limits;
-Property improvement assessment districts, improvement districts, and other special purpose taxing districts and political subdivisions of this state that have the authority to independently impose or levy taxes or assessments for their respective purposes;
-Bonds and other obligations issued or incurred by public authorities established by law if the bonds and obligations are not secured by state General Fund revenue;
-Short-term warrant notes that are used solely for cash management purposes;
-Any obligation for the restoration of payments deferred from one fiscal year to another;
-Bonds and other obligations that are secured by fees, excises, or license taxes relating to registration, operation, or use of vehicles on the public highways, or to fuels or other energy sources used for the propulsion of vehicles on the public highways or streets;
-Bonds and other obligations issued or incurred by universities under the jurisdiction of the Arizona Board of Regents or by community colleges; and
-Obligations incurred by the following:
- -Any retirement system established for state officers or employees;
-Any unemployment compensation fund or successor entity established by law; and
-Any workers' compensation system.
Legislation-Joint Resolution - Introduced (Senate) - March 2, 2010
Title: State Debt Limit Amendments
- Robert 'Bob' Burns (AZ - R) (Out Of Office)