SB 8 - Election Law Amendments - Key Vote
Ohio Key Votes
Legislation - Referred to Committee (House) - Dec. 10, 2009
Legislation - Bill Passed (Senate) (22-10) - Dec. 9, 2009(Key vote)
Title: Election Law Amendments
Vote to pass a bill that issues various amendments to state election law, including, but not limited to, eliminating same day voter registration and application for absentee ballots, authorizing county Board of Elections to increase the number of polling places for early voting, and authorizing voters to register with a political party on a voter registration form.
- -Existing law: for all ballots, 35 days before the election; and
- -For in-person absentee voters: 20 days before an election;
-For absentee voters, other than in-person absentee voters, overseas voters, and absent uniformed services voters, 28 days before the election; and
-For overseas voters and absent uniformed services voters, 45 days before an election.
- -For the first precinct, 4 election judges shall be appointed with not more than half of them being members of the same political party;
-For every subsequent precinct, 2 election judges shall be appointed, each being registered with different political parties; and
-One of these election judges shall be appointed as the single presiding judge for that polling place, and shall be a member of the political party whose candidate for governor received the highest number of votes in the most recent General Election.
- -County Board of Elections must notify the voter within 20 days after the election canvas;
-Voters may providing missing information by phone, email, fax, or in person;
-Voters whose registration form is missing a signature may provide a signed statement certifying that they completed a voter registration form;
-If missing information is collected 15 days prior to the election, the voter will be considered registered as of the date of the initial application; and
-Any missing information need to complete registration that appears on a voter's provisional ballot will be sufficient to make corrections, and the voter will be registered as of the date of the initial application, and the otherwise eligible provisional ballot will be counted.
- -Section for the voter to declare his or her party affiliation, of which shall be labeled "optional"; and
-Qualifications for registering to vote in Ohio.
- -Existing law: no campaigning within the area between the polling place the U.S. flags on the thoroughfares and walkways leading to the polling place, and if the line of voters waiting to vote extends beyond those flags, within 10 feet of a voter standing in line; and
-New law: no campaigning within 50 feet of the entrance of a polling place.
Legislation - Introduced (Senate) - Feb. 10, 2009
Title: Election Law Amendments
- John A. Carey Jr. (OH - R) (Out Of Office)
- Keith L. Faber (OH - R)
- Bob Gibbs (OH - R) (Out Of Office)
- David Goodman (OH - R) (Out Of Office)
- Bill M. Harris (OH - R) (Out Of Office)
- Jon A. Husted (OH - R) (Out Of Office)
- Shannon Jones (OH - R)
- Thomas E. 'Tom' Niehaus (OH - R) (Out Of Office)
- Thomas F. 'Tom' Patton (OH - R)
- Mark D. Wagoner Jr. (OH - R) (Out Of Office)